Thursday, July 23, 2009

Doulas

I know that I am not the only doula who feels this way...

Between births, sometimes I get the feeling of amazement that couples pay me to attend their births. It is such an honor for me to help couples through their birthing experience that I sometimes forget what a blessing it is for the couple to have someone present who is compassionate, knowledgeable and consistently advocating for their ideal birth.

I received a thank-you note today from a family that brought tears to my eyes:

Dear Erica,
I cannot thank you enough for the service you have provided since my husband and I decided to have you as our doula. Your passion for what you do, your knowledge and skills, and the calmness of your personality all contribute to the excellent job you performed, especially on the day when our baby was ready to come out and meet us. Thank you for being there for me, my husband and our baby. Having you as a wonderful part of this beautiful birth experience will be something for us to cherish for the rest of our lives.
May God bless you and your family abundantly!

This thank you letter is not only for me. It is for all of the doulas out there that forget what an important job we are doing. It is to remind us all that our services provide not only a lifetime of positive memories for families but also our compassion for beautiful births ripples through the community in so ways.

2 comments:

  1. I think I will always LOVE my midwife and doula. It is a wonderful gift you are sharing with them, Erica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so prooud of you, daughter dear.

    ReplyDelete