Saturday, December 26, 2009

My First Induction

I experienced my first Pitocin induction this week. My client’s water broke four days before her due date, and she wasn’t having any contraction. So after much debate and a second opinion from a midwife, she agreed to being induced. I was expecting the worst, but the entire birthing experience went really well. The nurses started her off very slowly and her body kicked in so that she didn’t need a lot of Pitocin. The only negative effect of the induction was having the contractions so close together and active labor lasting longer. The mom gave birth after 19 hours of labor and never got an epidural or had any interventions. I was honored to be a part of their birthing experience and grateful for the experience of a necessary induction.

No comments:

Post a Comment